Thursday, July 12, 2007

Keeping the slow pace

Ok, so I realize it's been a while and I'm not keeping up with the updating thing very well. It has been a very busy almost-two weeks. We have been travelling all over the city, figuring out areas that we might want to live in and just being tourists. We have also been searching vigorously for jobs, and I am happy to say that I already have a few interviews coming up next week. So I can sincerely report that things are going well.

Everything in New York is a challenge. The simplest tasks, like going grocery shopping or going to the post office, are monumental undertakings that require a great deal of time and energy. Of course, we do live in the most densely populated neighborhood in the city, so that doesn't help much. It is very easy to become impatient here, to want things to happen before their time. I suspect that is part of the reason for the stress level here. It forces us to step back from situations, live in the moment and celebrate the small victories here and there instead of always trying to plan out every moment of the future. It is somewhat ironic to me that life in the city requires more of this type of disposition, but I am learning something new every day.

We are still looking for our "nitch" as far as the direction 141-NYC will take. Right now we are still in the dream stage and it is important that we do not try to move too fast. My most sincere hope is that our vision will remain sharp and we will be able to see the small things in the mass of humanity.

1 comment:

ritchie said...

we studied john 7 for small group last night and you might want to check out how Jesus constantly refers back to the Father for his 'timing' issues. great model if you ask me. our take away as a church plant was to always keep in mind that His timing is best for every single task, idea, project, etc. that Crossweave ever decides to do. yes, keep that focus sharp.